Most PC users find defragmentation a tedious task. It is something no one can afford to overlook as it directly impacts the overall performance of the system.. Once in a while it is important to free up your disk space in order to carry out a defragmentation process, for optimal performance of your computer. It also requires you to move files to a removable drive.
Otherwise, computer experts wouldn’t have insisted on doing the same religiously if it wasn’t that critical.
Through this article, we are going to explain why it’s important to defragment your hard drive. Besides this, how frequently you should defrag to arrange files systematically and not to impair your hard drive at one swoop. You can even experience accelerated computer performance by defragmenting your hard drive.
What does system defragmentation do?
To system users, a file is something in one piece that is a photo, a document, an audio song, or any other digital file. No one thinks about a file as bits of information dispersed all over the drive. The operating system (OS) contemplates inversely – as per Windows (OS) a file consists of several small fragments that are stored collectively on a hard drive. It knows unerringly where each fragment is as well as the right order for reading them. File fragmentation typically takes place when disk space gets reprocessed time and again when you obliterate old files and save new ones.
Have you ever wondered why Windows goes through so much difficulty whenever you try to open a file and why it doesn’t just arrange the files as complete chunk? The answer to this question is quite simple – because OS basically is space-effective and doesn’t permit a single bit of hard drive space to remain unused.
The only drawback of placing file fragments all over the drive is that it has to put in lot efforts to access all fragments of the file one by one. Consequently, fragmented files might take pretty long time to open. That’s why one should defragment their hard drive on a regular basis or take online PC repair experts assistance.
Contradictory opinions that system users have about when to defragment your hard drive:
Individual do have conflicting opinions about each and every issue. And same goes for running defragmentation programs on computer. Few myths about running defragmenters are:
- If you defragment your hard drive too frequently you will abridge the lifecycle of the drive due to the additional grind it has to do while defragmentation process.
- Files can corrupt while defragmentation (even though this might happen in exceptional cases).
- More you defrag your system, the advantages attached to it start waning with time.
Try to find a middle ground
Both sides of the debate have validity. As per the old adage, “Excess of anything is bad”. So, you need to defragment your hard drive, and doing the same more than required can cause problems. Anyway, the main concern for all PC users is “how to make computer faster”. Here is a quick rundown of some key points that one must bear in mind for optimal hard drive defragmentation:
- Download and make use of a third-party defragmenter, instead of using the in-built Windows utility. As it works much faster and more efficiently, thereby reducing the time that hard drive is performing at maximum capacity. For this you need to get in touch with online PC repair service provider.
- Let your level of PC use help you understand exactly how many times per year you need to defragment. For instance, if you create and obliterate many files, spend most of time surfing online, installation of heavy programs/ applications, or do video streaming, then chances are you need to defragment your system more often.
- If you have lately installed more than one program or application, then also you need to defrag.
- Always ensure that you clean up all unwanted files first, run PC tuneup software, keep data backup, and run your defragmenter.
- At any point of time you notice your system is preforming at snail’s pace, don’t overlook and immediately take preventive steps.
System defragmentation is undoubtedly a bit tedious job to do, but the way computers are developed, it’s a task that won’t be going away any time soon. Undoubtedly, there are several of tools and techniques available to ensure it goes securely, swiftly and effortlessly. In case, you aren’t able to find the right tool best is to seek online PC repair assistance and get your system free from fragmented files.